Posted on October 22 2015
Suffering from acid reflux?
Maybe you should take one day to jump start cleanse your gut.
Jump Starting Your System
To jump start your system, pick a day to avoid all animal products and eat more fresh fruit and veggies. In addition, try supplementing with probiotics. Your gut loves them and you have many alternatives to choose from other than traditional dairy. You can use yogurt, kefir, miso, sauerkraut and kombucha, which are all great fermented forms of probiotics to help you better absorb nutrients from your food.
1. Avoid all processed foods, animal products, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, and sugar. Basically anything inflammatory to your system. Drink plenty of water and herbal tea.
2. To maintain energy, eat or drink your calories every few hours. Boost your energy by combining protein (healthy fats) with a complex carb. For example eating a combination of almond butter, green apple, and cinnamon.
3. Cleanse your colon. Apples and artichoke are high in fiber. Apple pectin helps remove bad bacteria. Artichokes boost digestive efficiency.
4. Eat more leafy greens such as chard, kale, spinach, dandelion, and chickweed. These are all nutrient-dense and help cleanse the digestive track.
5. Load up on lemons. Once ingested, the Vitamin C from lemons help to boost the immune system.
6. Snack healthy. Eat as many steamed or raw veggies as you want! Dip them in home made hummus or drizzle with olive or coconut oil.
7. Don’t be afraid of the healthy fats. Top your salad with avacado, and sprinkle with nuts or seeds.
8. Eat filling, high fiber fruit. Dried fruit contains natural digestive enzymes that help break down food! You only need one to two ounces and remember to read labels for no added sugar.
9. For dinner, you can lightly saute veggies in coconut oil and serve with 4 ounces of lean protein like tempeh, and a cup of quinoa or brown rice.
10. Remember, it’s just a day! A day to reset your intestinal tract, jump start your diet, and help you to make better food choices. If you are pregnant or have any medical conditions always consult your physician before changing your diet or cleansing, even for a day :).
Here are a couple of meal ideas to start your cleanse:
Green Detox Juice:
2 large peeled cucumbers
4 stalks kale
4 romaine lettuce leaves
4 stalks celery
1 or 2 broccoli stems
1 1-inch ginger root peeled.
To add sweetness, toss in a pear or green apple if that’s a little too green for you
Slow cook a bowl of gluten free oats, made with almond milk, and half a cup of berries and banana. Drink a glass of warm water with lemon first thing in the morning to aide in digestion.
by: Christine Moyer